Festivities will be continuing long into the weekend as Gotye celebrates not only the continuing reign of his No.1 single 'Somebody That I Used To Know', but the fact that he can now add an album to his collection of hits with 'Making Mirrors' debuting at No.1 on tonight's official ARIA charts.
It's the Melbourne based performer's first ever No.1 album.
This week marks the first time since Silverchair back in 2007 that an Australian artist has held the No.1 singles and albums chart at the same time.
ARIA reports that 'Making Mirrors' is also the first album this year to sell more than 35,000 copies in its first week - it's already a gold certified smash, with greater accreditations sure to come.
Meantime, the single 'Somebody That I Used To Know' also continues to shine, this week enjoying a 20% sales growth against last week's figure. And though ARIA don't like to publish any specific numbers, they've reported that 'Somebody That I Used To Know' has this week delivered "the highest weekly sales tally since Anthony Callea’s “The Prayer” reached its peak in the week of Christmas 2004." Astonishing results all 'round.
Also debuting this week are Jack Vidgen's 'Yes I Am' album (new in at No.3) and Josh Pyke's 'Only Sparrows' in at No.4, meaning that 60% of the top five is Australian and the other 40% is Adele.
For all the guff Aussie chart-wise, head over to www.ariacharts.com.au from 6:30pm AEST.